Peterson’s Straight Grain 69 with busted stem

I have this Peterson’s Flame Grain 69 with the main problem being the stem. The bowl rim had some lava and dings, and one fill on the side. The top of the stem had a few tooth depressions but the bottom had a large chunk broken off.

image

image

image

image

image

After prepping the stem, I plugged the hole with a piece of cardboard wrapped with tape to prevent the glue from sticking to it. Then mixed up the black superglue with powdered charcoal and patched the holes.

image

image

image

While that was drying, I reamed and did the cotton ball/alcohol treatment, redid the fill and restained the pipe. I used black as the base, wiped and sanded down and applied medium brown dye. Then wiped down and hit the buffer to finish it up.
Back to the stem. Sanded with 220 and needle files to sharpen the bit end. Then 400 up to 3000 grit. Then hit the buffers. Here’s the finished pipe. Sorry for the lack of pics.

image

image

image

image

image

image

image

Thanks for looking!

Advertisements
Standard

Peterson’s Kildare 80s repair

This is my second pipe that had the parallel lines under the bowl banged up real bad. This is a Peterson’s Kildare 80s bent bulldog. I had previously restored the pipe except for the obvious area right in front. At the time, the idea of doing this repair was unthinkable, so I did the usual ream and clean, light topping of the rim, etc. I put it in my Kildare collection and forgot about it.

image

Sorry for the blurry pics but you can see the damage.

image
Now while smoking recently, I was reminded of the nasty area that I was fairly confident I could do a repeat performance of a similar repair I did earlier.

I cleaned the area with alcohol. Packed briar chips and spread superglue to fill the missing areas. I notice the briar chips I get from using the dremel to rusticate a pipe don’t turn black like the dust from topping a bowl with sand paper. After the initial sanding, I noticed a hole on each side that I would have to repatch.

image

image

Sanded smooth, used needle files and 220 paper folded in half to recut the grooves. Then finer grits and wiped the area with olive oil. After a day, I buffed her up. Here is the result.

image

image

image

image

Thanks for looking!

Standard