Wow this was a learning experience for me! I had a Peterson’s with a cracked shank which I sent to Steve Laug for repairs. He inserted a delrin sleeve thus eliminating the need for a band which would change the look. After getting the pipe back, I saw how he did the repair. I have several pipes with cracked shanks but I did the first repair on a friends cracked Dunhill. Yep, I chose to practise on a Dunnie!
It didn’t have a stem and he just wanted a smoker not a show pipe. Here is a before pic.
So I taped the shank down to where it was solid.
Then I ground it down with the belt sander.
Here is a pic of the pipe with a new stem that will fit nicely and a tenon to insert into the shank.
I bought some different sizes of smooth tenons from Tim West because none of my suppliers had any sleeves. Then I drilled some out on my drill press since I don’t have a lathe. One pipe maker I contacted said that drilling them out with a lathe was the way to go, but not having a lathe, I went with my drill press. I used a chuck from a 1/2″ drill bolted on the base of the press to firmly hold the tenon. Then I drilled out the tenon using a series of larger drill bits until it was thin as I could get it. Here is the result and some failures.
Next I drilled out the shank with larger drill bits until the tenon sleeve fit. Then I roughed it up and glued it in, clamped it overnight.
Then I dug out the crack on the top, which was at least an inch and packed in CA glue and briar chips.
Sanded down with a sanding sponge and sandpaper until smooth. A little olive oil blended the repaired area. The crack is still visible but it is smooth to the touch. The sleeve insert will provide strength for more years of use. Here is the finished pipe. It’s okay but I am not happy with the end result. I did learn a lot so hopefully my next repair will be easier and more satisfactory.
Thanks for looking and keep your bowl smoking!