DIY tenon expanders

On the subject of tightening a loose tenon, I wanted to share my tools. If heating won’t swell it and beeswax won’t do the trick, you want to expand as much of the length of the tenon, rather than just heating and pressing it to flatten the tip only. I have several small dowels bought from the hardware store. The pic shows my arsenal along with a toothpick for size comparison.

image

I cut a small section and then sand it to gradually increase the diameter, much less sharp than a pencil. The ultimate goal is to heat the tenon and insert the dowel to swell the tenon along its entire length, not just the tip (which a sharpened pencil would do). I put the appropriate size dowel in the cold tenon and sometimes make a mark to see how deep it goes after I heat it up. Of course you want to barely press it, rather repeat several times to get the correct fit.

image

Do not try this with a matchstick that you’ve sharpened. It will break off inside the tenon and be difficult to remove.

Advertisements
Standard

Peterson’s Sterling Pre-Republic 80

I had this Pre-Republic Peterson’s Sterling bent bulldog 80 with a damaged rim. It is marked Made in Ireland in block format which I think places this pipe pre 1946.20150609_204956
image

image

As you can see the main problem was the missing ridge on the side of the bowl.

I used clear superglue mixed with briar chips, not dust. I’ve found that dust turns black when mixed with the glue. I got the chips which are slightly larger by grinding down a donor stummel with a dremel. I filled in the missing area, let dry and sanded and filed down the excess

image

I used a needle file to cut a groove and finished deepening the grooves with a serrated kitchen knife.

image

. When I was almost finished, a piece broke off.
image

So I mixed up more glue/briar chips and made a second patch.
image

Again sanded and filed and then touched up the area with olive oil.
image

Buffed with green tripoli, red tripoli, white diamond, carnauba wax and a clean flannel buff to polish.

The stem was oxidized with some tooth marks which came out with 220 grit sandpaper after an oxyclean soak. I reamed the bowl and cleaned the shank before I started the glue work but didn’t take pics.

image

image

Standard