This Emerald 80s by Peterson’s had seen better days. Maybe I could turn back the hands of time to an age where this pipe was new and never subjected to the horrific abuse it has seen.
The 2 main issues were some briar knocked out of the rings on the left side and the stem. The stem. Wow, one of the worst I’ve ever seen. It was heavily calcified and the top had been chewed enough to where the airway was exposed. The bottom had a trench cut across also. Oh yeah, the rim was out of round from a careless hack job reaming it.
I almost forgot the band was loose, the front of the bowl had some scratches and the loose tenon was fixed with a bunch of dental floss.
The stem went into extensive repeated oxyclean soak/scrub until it could be sanded with 100 grit sandpaper, 150 and 220. I wrapped a pipecleaner with tape and ran it through the stem to where the tape was in the repair area and wouldn’t let the glue stick to the pipecleaner.
I used black CA glue mixed with powdered charcoal to layer up enough to fill the holes and sand smooth. This took several layers obviously.
I used tape to keep the edge sharp during one glue session.
After more layers to fill minute airholes, it was done. Sanding and buffing finished the stem. Also heated the tenon and expanded it with a tapered wooden dowel to fit tight. Refreshed the P with grout whitener to put the icing on the cake.
Alternating with the stem work, I worked on the bowl. The grooves were cleaned out after wiping the bowl with alcohol. I filled the area with clear CA glue and briar chips.
After drying, I used files to cut the lines and sanded it smooth.
The rim was lightly sanded to try to bring it back into round. Buffed the pipe and stem and glad this beast is beaten!
Thanks for looking!