Today’s article is about an old Peterson’s System pipe whose rim was scorched badly with the briar burned down on 2 sides. It has a Sterling silver cap marked K&P Sterling Silver, Peterson’s Dublin. There are no hallmarks, I think that means it was meant for export. The bowl is stamped Peterson’s System, 4130 on the other side. The nomenclature is so faded, it can only be seen with magnification. I want to say a Pre-Republic but at the time of this writing, I can’t make out any COM in this light. Maybe the shape number can date it? I think it has the Made in England circle format.
As can be seen from the pic, the sterling silver cap was partially split and the lip was pulled up. The previous owner must of had trouble with the stem, because the cap was split and the briar was cracked beneath it. I put the bowl in a jar of alcohol for an overnight soak. When I pulled it out and reamed it, the extent of damage could be seen.
Both inner and outer edges were charred. I topped it lightly, I would have had to take a 1/4″ off to get to a flat burn free surface. But that was unacceptable because I needed to preserve the profile as much as possible. I rounded both sides of the rim with files and sandpapers.
Then I pulled the cap off. Several cracks were discovered and filled with CA and briar “chips”. These are made when dremelling a pipe, they are a little rougher than the dust created from topping a bowl. I think these chips don’t turn jet black like the dust does.
I made a model of the briar end under the cap with a 7 / 8 ” dowel.
Then I put the cap on that and tapped out the dents and rounded the lip back down. I consider the next part a failure by not soldering the cap with silver. I would have had to take it to a jewelry repair and it probably would have cost too much. So I mixed some J-B weld and put some on the inside of the cap.
When dry, I sanded down and used CA to reattach it to the briar after making sure the opening was round enough to fit the stem in. Sanded down the stummel and stained dark brown, then wiped down with alcohol to lighten it a little. Buffed with abrasive pads and carnuba and a clean flannel buff.
The stem was cleaned, filed and sanded until new looking. No pics, sorry.
Maybe I will get the cap soldered correctly one day, it looks easy on YouTube. The split is still visible but solid.
But for now it will take its place in my rotation. Thanks for looking!